Jewellery obsessives, like myself, may have seen the news that Marie Antoinette's jewellery is soon to go under the auction hammer, The Sotherby's auction in Geneva in November will feature over 100 jewels from the Bourbon-Parma family, including some of Marie Antoinette's own diamonds and pearls. The auction is sure to feature the very pinnacle in antique jewellery, way beyond the budgets of the vast majority of us. But that doesn't mean that all antique or vintage jewellery is out of reach.
Vintage Jewellery Buying Guide
There is a huge array of vintage an antique jewellery out there, with pieces to suit every budget. Many Vintage jewellery buying guides will focus on, checking the stones are authentic, looking for hallmarks on the settings, asking for certifications etc. Of course, all of these things are important if you are looking to buying a piece of high-end vintage jewellery, like an engagement ring. This guide to buying vintage is not so serious, being more of a guide to buying costume vintage jewellery. If you come across some precious stones along the way, then that's a rather nice bonus.
There are some things to bear in mind when you are searching for some vintage loveliness...
- The condition is Key – A little bit of wear or patina is to be expected with vintage jewellery, and in some cases, it can even add to its charm, but you should always take a closer look. Ensure that there are no gems missing and that they are all secure in their settings.
- Is it in Working Order - Double check that any clasps work correctly, and are not likely to come loose through wear. And, finally look for any chips, scratches or signs of excess wear...if you still love the piece, you may be able to knock a little extra off the price.
- Search for Quality – Your vintage costume jewellery does not have to cost the earth, but you should make sure it is well-made. Look for neat finishes with no untidy soldering etc., smooth plating that is consistent, and bright sparkling stones. Vintage jewellery has stood the test of time, you are going to want it to last many more years with you.
- Don't Forget to Haggle – Antique and vintage dealers prices are not set in stone, there is always a discount to be had. Try your luck and see how much you can reduce the price – you will be extra appreciative of your new piece of vintage jewellery if you got it at a bargain price.
- Is it Love? - What really matters is how you feel about the piece of vintage jewellery. Some might think it isn't the best quality, others might think it is garish, but if you love it, then forget about them. Wear your vintage costume jewellery with pride.
Vintage Jewellery Tells a Story
A piece of vintage jewellery makes a great gift for someone special or for yourself as it is going to be unique. A piece of vintage jewellery has a story to tell, and every time you wear it you can imagine who has worn it over time, and all of the wonderful places it may have been. Don't you think that's just a little bit magical?